Technical Specialist - Materials Development
Location: New kensington
As one of Arconicís principal metallurgists in the field of high performance aluminum alloys, the primary purpose of this position is to (a) identify, demonstrate and implement cost reduction opportunities in the manufacture of aerospace wrought products and (b) develop differentiated aerospace wrought products for low cost metallic
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of physical
and mechanical metallurgy principles of heat-treatable aluminum alloys processed as sheet, plate, extrusion or forgings, over a wide range of alloy systems.
- Microstructure/process/property relationships of wrought, heat-treatable aluminum alloys
- Mechanical properties of wrought aluminum alloys including fatigue and fracture.
- Experience with composition & processing effects on corrosion performance of wrought aluminum products
- Knowledge of aircraft metallic structural design drivers and corresponding material performance requirements
- Thermomechanical processing of wrought, heat treatable and non-heat treatable aluminum alloys.
- Ability to design R&D experiments, analyze
data and identify physically significant trends and make recommendations
for changes to composition and processing.
- Technical leadership and collaboration skills.
R&D project management skills. Demonstrated technical writing and
- Track record in delivering innovative solutions with significant value.
- Master of Science in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science from an accredited institution
- Minimum 10 years of applied R&D experience in the aluminum alloy industry
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in
the United States.† Verification of employment eligibility will be
required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for
-PhD in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science from an accredited institution
-10 years of applied R&D experience in the aluminum alloy industry