Better Choices, Better Health Workshop to be Hosted by the JCC South Hills
The JCC South Hills is hosting the workshop Better Choices, Better Health at Providence Point, 500 Providence Point Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15243, for six Tuesdays from May 9 to June 13, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The workshop is free.
This is a wonderful program that has benefited many adults. The workshops are informative, fun and interactive. In the workshop, participants will be together with people with similar conditions and concerns and will make new friends.
In a Stanford study, people who participated in the program demonstrated significant improvements in exercise, cognitive symptom management, communication with physicians, self-reported general health, health distress, fatigue, disability, and social activities limitations. They also spent fewer days in the hospital, and there was also a trend toward fewer outpatient visits and hospitalizations.
Participants will actively be a part of:
- Brainstorming on key topics;
- Making a Weekly Action Plan on a goal that is important to YOU;
- Feedback and Problem Solving in which you report how you did in meeting your goal.
Engaging activities designed to help learning include:
- Distraction techniques to help manage pain;
- Better breathing techniques and ways to avoid shortness of breath;
- Relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation;
- What level of exercise intensity is right for you;
- Some guidelines about healthy eating;
- How to communicate more effectively;
- How to make future plans for health care;
- How to evaluate new treatment options;
- The power of positive thinking.
All workshop participants receive the companion book, “Living a Healthy Life with a Chronic Condition.”
Light refreshments are provided throughout, with a graduation celebration at the end!
Please call or see Elaine Cappucci at 412-446-4773 to sign up today!