Allegheny County Human Resources
Salary: (Hourly) Entry level- $22.556 per hour; 1 year – $24.0126 per hour; 2 years – $25.1083 per hour
How to Apply:
Applications for the position of Correctional Officer, Full-Time are accepted on a continuous basis. Applications are submitted online. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
All eligible candidates will be invited to take the REACT entry level Correctional Officer exam. Exam dates will be announced at a later date, and further instructions regarding testing will be provided once exam dates are determined. REACT may be taken virtually. There is a $41.00 testing fee to be paid by the candidate. Test fees may be waived for candidates who meet financial hardship eligibility criteria. Details will be provided when exam invitations are sent out. Candidates MUST submit a County application by clicking “apply online” below and be determined eligible in order to receive an invitation to take the REACT exam.
High school diploma or its equivalent. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be a U.S. Citizen.
Candidates who pass the written examination must possess a valid driver’s license to continue in the Selection Process.
Act 33/34 clearances are required prior to appointment at the cost of the applicant.
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass a background check, which includes verification of Allegheny County Real Estate Tax status, and drug/medical examinations as required for the position. The pre-employment drug screen must be completed within 48 hours of the acceptance of the conditional offer of employment.
- Supervises all functions within a housing pod in accordance with the basic rules and principles of direct supervision.
- Coordinates all inmate movement in-house to include utilization of the recreation yard and the visiting booths.
- Enforces rules of conduct, security and work assignments in accordance with appropriate interpersonal communication practices and makes verbal and written reports of significant violation or irregularities to supervisory staff.
- Transports and escorts prisoners and detainees using handcuffs and other appropriate restraints.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods and practices of detention facilities to include individual, group attitudes and behavior of inmates
- Crisis intervention functions to include: counseling; suicide prevention; recognizing abnormal behavior and taking appropriate action
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing; demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal settings
- Run to pursue fleeing inmates; perform rescue operations and other duties which may involve: entering and exiting secured areas; lifting, carrying and dragging heavy objects; climbing up to and down from elevated surfaces; climbing through openings; jumping over obstacles; crawling in confined areas; use necessary physical force to protect oneself or others from harm
- Inspect unclothed inmates, including body cavities, with exposure to body fluids, wastes; possibly encounter deceased persons
- Work all shifts and forced overtime if staff shortages occur
- Use or learn to use a personal computer as an input/output device
- Obtain certification to carry a Department issued weapon during training and maintain throughout employment as a correctional officer
Residency: Not required to live in Allegheny County
Veterans’ Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – M/F/V/D
To apply for this job please visit apps.alleghenycounty.us.