Website Carnegie Mellon University
Originally founded as the School of Urban and Public Affairs in 1968, the Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College is comprised of the university’s top-ranked schools of Public Policy and Information Systems and offers an academic experience unlike any other. Heinz College prepares students with a unique ability to conduct careful and objective analysis of meaningful data, to understand and demonstrate the power of information technology, and to lead and implement change in managerial and policy contexts.
The Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy is seeking a Director of Graduate Student Recruitment to join their team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an exciting and challenging work environment. You will contribute to the department by providing support by recruiting dedicated and a diverse group of applicants, as well as leading all aspects of the external outreach to promote the graduate programs at Heinz College to prospective students, external faculty/staff/advisors, and other external organizations and partners.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Developing annual and long-term recruitment strategy based on Heinz College’s vision and strategic plan.
Handling the entire recruitment process while adhering to the timeline of each component.
- Leading various strategic recruitment initiatives for Heinz College, such as identifying new domestic and international markets for admissions and developing strategic relationships to reach recruitment goals and recruitment of sponsored students within these markets.
- Developing and executing innovative recruitment strategies aimed at attracting a diverse pool of candidates.
- Developing and implementing strategies and initiatives to optimize application selection and yield of students.
- Ensuring recruitment materials and messaging are inclusive and resonate with diverse audiences.
- Assessing and responding to enrollment data and trends to address changing and emerging student markets.
- Conducting ongoing assessment of recruitment strategies to measure effectiveness in achieving diversity goals.
- Leading efforts to identify and remove barriers to the recruitment and enrollment of underrepresented students.
Managing staff in support of recruitment effort:
- Develop recruitment-focused travel calendar Heinz Admissions staff, Program Directors, Career Services, and faculty.
Leading Recruitment Processes, Activities, and Events:
- Working closely with faculty and staff to develop marketing materials to support recruitment effort.
- Assessing the current recruitment process, providing ongoing evaluation with recommendation for iterative improvements.
- Using data analytics tools and methods to advise Heinz College’s recruitment activities and craft a balanced student roster. Partnering with the Executive Director and the Marketing and Data Analytics teams to engage in deeper understanding of the inquiry and applicant pool. Monitoring, tracking, and reporting on marketing and recruitment statistics through queries and reports in Slate, Excel, Tableau, and other tools as needed.
- Providing admissions guidance to prospective students; maintaining high quality of service to applicants/ admitted students and ensuring accurate and timely dissemination of related documents. Consults and advises prospective students about graduate education opportunities at the university.
- Own the alumni engagement program for the office which includes the alumni referral program and alumni ambassadors. Includes coordination of events with Alumni Affairs and Career Services staff.
- Responds to routine and non-routine inquiries from contacts, partners, and prospective students concerning the application process, notification, financial aid information, visa requirements, conditions, and program requirements.
- Collaborates with community organizations, minority-serving institutions, and other external partners to reach a broad spectrum of prospective students.
Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Heinz College. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; and sensitivity to instructing and learning needs at a research university
- Ability to identify, analyze and understand issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion that pertain to prospective and admitted student applicants
- Excellent time and project management skills
- A passion for engaging with students and making a positive impact on their lives.
- Ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or individuals
- Strong attention to detail and ability to keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and records
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- A combination of education and relevant experience from which comparable knowledge is demonstrated may be considered.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing successful diversity recruitment in an academic or corporate setting.
- Strong understanding of the challenges and barriers faced by underrepresented student populations in higher education.
- Knowledge of best practices in affirmative action, equal opportunity employment and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in Academic Admissions required
- Successful background check
To apply for this job please visit cmu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.