Website Kopp Glass, Inc.
Kopp. The go-to solution for high-performance glass.
Kopp Glass, a Pittsburgh-based manufacturer of high-performance, custom glass products, is seeking to hire a Glass Engineer to support the installation, integration, and operation of glass manufacturing equipment and systems to produce precision molded glass products. The position will apply their glass and material science knowledge and experience to optimize production processes at both sites in addition to providing technical support to solve various engineering challenges. The Glass Engineer will work to design, innovate, and modify glass and material compositions to provide unique and novel solutions for molded glass production. The engineer will work closely with all departments at Kopp Glass including Operations, Sales, New Product Development, and Quality to foster a team approach to production and sales/product support. The engineer will work across two company sites both within the greater Pittsburgh area, supporting engineering efforts on both traditional small-scale glass production as well as on new automated and enabling technology glass manufacturing work cells. A hands-on position, the engineer will get to learn and grow through knowledge transfer and experience at our over 90-year-old company.
What makes this opportunity unique?
Never one to shy away from a challenge, you’ll find our glass cruising on jets above the clouds at 40,000 feet or aiding in important scientific discovery a mile beneath Antarctica. We are driven to support the advancement of innovations that matter. Always at the forefront of technology, our customers are leading innovators and industry shapers who count on us to contribute deep expertise and knowhow in glassmaking to help solve complex engineering challenges. As a result of our rich history of collaboration, today we make things that very few in the world can, a source of pride for our employees and customers that defines who we are.
- Supports the modification, coloring, and design of existing and new glass compositions to meet industry and customer standards. Applies engineering tools and methods to streamline processes, improve yields, and support production departments.
Collaborates with New Product Development and Sales to expand product and glass portfolio. Coordinates new or improved glass compositions into Production working closely with interdepartmental team to see or lead design projects through to successful finished products.
- Works closely with the Production, Process, and QA departments to investigate and troubleshoot issues, create pre-emptive solutions, and process improvement projects based on lean and Six-Sigma methodologies. Supports daily operations as needed to produce technical glass to industry and customer requirements.
- Communicates and assists the Sales department with client issues and requests for new or current glasses and materials. Interacts with current and potential clients to build relationships and strong ties helping to develop new product lines.
- Supports Purchasing and Operations departments on material and equipment selections where applicable. Approves product on arrival for technical requirements and refines requirements as needed.
- Additionally, supports purchase of capital equipment including glass melting furnaces, glass-feeding, glass-forming, and cold-working equipment solutions.
- Represents and travels for Kopp Glass on pertinent technical committees, trade shows and customer visits. Identifies and researches innovations and movements within glass, ceramics, or material science research, industries, or markets.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Glass, Ceramics, Materials Science, or appropriate degree from an accredited engineering school
- Knowledge of glass and material science with ability to troubleshoot complex manufacturing equipment through applied engineering
- 3+ years of experience in Glass Engineering or in an applicable manufacturing environment
- Must be proficient at using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- The essential functions of this role will be performed in both an office and factory setting. This may include walking, standing, bending and occasional lifting to a maximum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work in both a hot and cold environment and perform essential functions while wearing necessary PPE (safety shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, respirators as needed).
About the company:
At Kopp we recognize that great employees are what truly differentiates us from our competitors, and we demonstrate that belief by continuously challenging, developing, and rewarding those who help us achieve our mission. We offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package with options for medical and wellness care, 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays, and more. You’ll be joining a company with a solid, industry-leading reputation for technical excellence and expertise in glass science, materials, and optical engineering. We are driven to be the very best, and we want people on our team who are dedicated to this mission.
Access to our facility (and therefore, employment) is restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to U.S. Citizens and permanent residents of the United States. Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide information to determine whether they are subject to these regulations and, if so, to assess their country of chargeability for export control purposes.
To apply for this job please visit koppglass.bamboohr.com.